Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA)
It is the goal of the Merrimack County Department of Corrections (MCDOC) to encourage and maintain a healthy environment for visitors, inmates, and staff. A Zero Tolerance approach has been adopted for addressing forms of sexual abuse or sexual harassment.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW:
- Under NH Law and MCDOC policy, an inmate cannot legally consent to sexual contact with anyone while incarcerated.
- An inmate can have NO sexual contact with another inmate, MCDOC staff,
volunteers, and/or contractors.
- It is never appropriate for MCDOC staff, volunteers, etc to make sexual advances or comments, or to engage in sexual contact with an inmate. Including those persons under the supervision of Community Corrections.
ALL REPORTED INCIDENTS WILL BE INVESTIGATED.
If an inmate you know has been sexually assaulted, subjected to sexual harassment, threatened for sex, promised favors or protection in exchange for sex, please let someone know. To report an incident, you may use any of the following options:
- Contact MCDOC at 603-796-3600.
- Contact the Merrimack County Sheriff’s Office at 603-796- 6600.
- Write/call the local Crisis Center – Crisis Center of CentralNew Hampshire
P.O. Box 1344, Concord, NH 03302 / 24 hour Crisis Line 1-866-841-6229.
If they are in immediate danger, please speak directly to a staff member or contact the Sheriff’s Office.
WE WANT YOU TO BE SAFE AND WE WILL HELP YOU.
If you have any question or would like more information, contact Director Struven, PREA Coordinator, at 603-796-3639.